Saturday 5 July 2008

Hehuan Shan, Taroko and the East Coast (July 2008)

With clear skies forecast island wide, I decided to take advantage of the excellent weather and head over to the east coast for a couple of days. I left Taichung (台中) at 5:00 in the morning and after breakfast at Chingjing (清境), I continued along the Central-Cross Highway (中橫公路) towards Hehuanshan (合歡山).









As you can see, the weather on top of Hehuanshan (合歡山) was stunning. I therefore went on a short hike and took the following pictures.





The beautiful weather continued as I headed east towards Taroko (太魯閣).


The Liwu River (立霧溪) just as it meets the Xipan Dam (溪畔水壩)in Taroko Gorge (太魯閣).



The following pictures were taken on the Baiyang Trail (白楊步道), which begins just after Tianxiang (天祥) if you're heading west from the gorge.










The trail passes through a series of tunnels before emerging here at the Baiyang Waterfall (白楊瀑布).






After the waterfall, the trail continues a short distance through another tunnel before emerging at the "Water Curtain Cave".



The entrance to the cave.



Inside the cave, it's wise to wear a raincoat. Otherwise, you'll end up drenched like I did!






If you look closely at the rock face towards the left of the picture, you'll see a cave. This is where you emerge if you walk through the "Water Curtain Cave". The trail used to continue further along this path, but now it's closed as apparently it's dangerous.




There's only enough space for bicycles to squeeze through the entrance to this trail. My BMW therefore had to wait in the car park!


After spending the morning in the gorge, I decided to have a ride down the east coast. This picture was taken on route 193 which heads south from Hualian (花蓮) and passes through the East Coast Rift Valley (花東縱谷).



This is a picture taken from national highway 11甲, which connects route 193 with the coastal road.


The fabulous east coast highway number 11.





I was just about to take out the explosives from my panniers when, much to my disappointment, I saw this sign!



This was taken from a great little coffee shop at Baqi (芭崎), also on highway 11.

Back on route 193 again heading towards Qixingtan (七星潭).





6 comments:

N said...

I only been to Hehuanshan when I was a little kid. I really wish I can go back soon.

Andrew Town said...

Thanks for taking the time to check out my blog. It's much appreciated. I hope you get the chance to visit Hehuanshan again.

Anonymous said...

Dear captain, here comes my assignment ^^. This line is my parents' favorite. We've been driving this path for several times when I was little. Every picture looks so familiar to me...

PS. Do you know the story of "Water Curtain Cave"....haha...(hint: ask Matthew :P)

Anonymous said...

Where can I leave a massage?... you know? "Leave your comment" is too small! I spent ten mins finding it!

Well, I keep my promise to visit your blog when I go to college~XD I would like to appreciate your conduct on my English autobiography. Anyway, it helps me a lot, and I am a freshman now!

Anonymous said...

hi I am intending to go to hehuan after taroko. how can I get there? is there any public buses? is it far?

Motorcycle Paradise said...

Great looking ride. I am going to visit Taiwan 2013 specifically to tour by motorcycle (probably July for less rain?)and just found your blog so hope to pick up some ideas. Regards Warren.