Saturday 26 April 2008

October 2006: Taroko (太魯閣)and Chingjing (清境 )

In what was becoming an annual event, I took advantage of the long weekend given to us by the Double Ten National Holiday (雙十節)and travelled across to the east coast. This trip was different, though, from previous years as I took my wife Michelle. She's not a great fan of travelling long distances on the back of a bike, so when we go places together we usually go by car. However, on this occasion I managed to persuade her to go with me. We spent our first night at Chingjing (清境), two nights at Taroko(太魯閣) and then returned to Chingjing (清境)for our final night. This was my first trip on my new motorcycle; a 650cc BMW F650 GS.

My new motorbike in its full glory on Hehuan Mountain (合歡山).


This idiot somehow managed to drive over the edge of the mountain as he was trying to park his car!


My friend Patrick on Hehuan Mountain(合歡山) with his Canadian friend Hilary.


This is national highway number 14 heading west into the Central Mountain Range (中央山脈)from Liyutan(鯉魚潭), a picturesque lake south of Hualian(花蓮). Because of the poor condition of this road, one has to get a police pass before entry is permitted. This road is rarely used except by hikers who use it as a starting point for a hike over to the west coast.


My wife Michelle near the beginning of national highway 14.



This road is often closed due to landslides.









This is as far as we were able to go on this occasion. The bridge was washed away in the previous summer's typhoon.


More pictures of Taroko Gorge(太魯閣). If you've seen my other postings, you're probably becoming quite familiar with this place by now!




My wife and I at a rest stop on the Central Cross Highway(中橫公路).



Facing west on the Central Cross Highway(中橫公路).




Sunrise at Chingjing (清境),



My wife at Liyutan(鯉魚潭) near Puli(埔里).

No comments: